If you enjoy Palak (Spinach) and Paneer (Indian Cheese), I am sure you will love this delicious creamy Indian gravy made from these two yummy ingredients. It is a very popular delicacy in India and I want to share my favourite recipe for making Palak Paneer.
250 grams paneer
2 bunches of palak
3 medium sized onions (finely chopped)
2 medium size tomatoes (finely chopped) OR tomato puree as per convenience
2 green chillies (slit into half)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 ginger paste
1/2 garlic paste
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp chana masala
1 tsp sugar
3 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
Cream for garnish
1. Cook the palak (spinach) for about 5 minutes in boiling water and grind it to fine paste after it is cold.
2. Cut the paneer into small cubes and deep fry in oil till light golden brown
3. Heat the oil in a wok or non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds. Wait till it crackles and ensure that it does not burn. Add the chopped onions and green chillies and saute till the onions are golden brown. Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for another minute. Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and the chana masala powder and saute for another 1-2 minutes. Then add the tomatoes/tomato puree and stir till the oil separates.
4. Add the palak paste to this mixture along with 1 cup water.(Tip: You can use the water used for cooking the spinach)
5. Add the paneer, garam masala, sugar and salt and cook till you start to see the gravy bubbling. If the gravy seems a bit dry, you can add some more water.
6. Garnish with some cream in the end