Hide peas and courgettes in this Italian favourite to up your vegetable intake – great for kids when served with pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions , finely chopped
- 3 carrots , finely chopped
- 4 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 courgettes , cut into small cubes
- 4 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 250g pack beef mince
- 1 heaped tbsp tomato purée
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 400g fettuccine
- 200g pea , frozen or fresh
- handful parsley , roughly chopped
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in large deep frying pan. Add the onions, carrots, celery, courgettes and garlic. Cook for about 10 mins or until soft, adding a few splashes of water if the mixture begins to stick. Turn up the heat and add the mince. Fry for a few mins more, breaking up the mince with the back of a spoon. Stir in tomato purée, pour over the chopped tomatoes and add a can of water. Simmer for 15 mins until the sauce is thick, then season.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, cook the fettuccine following pack instructions.
- STEP 3
Tip the peas into the sauce and simmer for 2 mins more until tender. Stir through the drained pasta and parsley, then serve.