Start your St. Patrick’s Day off on the right foot with these savoury scones shaped like four leaf clovers.
295ml heavy cream, plus more for brushing
1 large egg
2 tablespoons low-fat dry milk powder
7g fresh dill fronds
7g fresh parsley leaves
385g all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
115g extra-sharp white Cheddar, grated
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, 1 cold and 1 at room temperature
Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 200 degrees C. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Whisk the cream, egg and milk powder together in a liquid measuring cup. Pulse 20 of the chives, 1/2 of the dill and 1/2 of the parsley in a food processor until finely chopped. Add the flour, baking powder and kosher salt and pulse until well combined with the herbs. Add the cheese and pulse a few times to combine.
- Cut the cold stick of butter into pieces. Add to the food processor a few pieces at a time, pulsing until only a few pea-size pieces remain. Transfer to a large bowl and make a well in the center. Pour the wet ingredients into the well and mix with a fork, incorporating the dry ingredients a little at a time until a shaggy dough forms (it’s okay if the dough looks a little dry, just don’t overwork it). Lightly knead the dough in the bowl until it just comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a 3/4-inch-thick rectangle (about 9 by 7 inches). Use a floured 2-inch-wide heart-shape cookie cutter to stamp out 20 hearts as close together as possible (to minimize scraps). Arrange four of the hearts in a four-leaf clover pattern (with the points of all the hearts meeting in the center) on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining hearts for a total of five clovers, spacing them evenly apart. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Brush the tops lightly with cream and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake the scones until golden brown, 23 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pulse the remaining 10 chives, dill and parsley in a food processor until finely chopped. Add the stick of room-temperature butter and pulse until mixture is light green and well combined. Serve the scones warm with the herb butter.