Tinned fish and sweetcorn are a lifesaver when you need to rustle up some simple potato patties for a healthy, budget-friendly supper
- 450g potato , quartered
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise , plus extra to serve
- 2 x 185g cans tuna , drained
- 198g can sweetcorn , drained
- small bunch chives , snipped, or 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2 eggs , beaten
- 100g dried breadcrumb
- sunflower oil , for frying
- salad and your favourite dressing, to serve
- STEP 1
Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until really tender. Drain and allow to steam-dry in a colander. Tip into a bowl, season and mash. Stir in the mayonnaise, tuna, sweetcorn and chives or parsley. Shape into 4 cakes and chill until cold and firm.
- STEP 2
Dip each cake into the egg, letting the excess drip off, then coat in the breadcrumbs. Chill for 15 mins.
- STEP 3
Heat a little of the oil in a pan and gently fry the cakes for 2-3 mins on each side until golden. You may need to do this in batches – keep warm in a low oven. Serve with extra mayonnaise and salad leaves.