Get all five of your 5-a-day in this mildly spiced, healthy pasta dish. It’s rich in iron, fibre and vitamin C as well as being low-fat and low-calorie
- 100g wholemeal penne
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion, sliced, plus 1 tbsp finely chopped
- 1 orange pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 196g can sweetcorn in water
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 avocado, stoned and chopped
- 1/2 lime, zest and juice
- handful coriander, chopped, plus extra to serve
- STEP 1
Cook the pasta in salted water for 10-12 mins until al dente. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium pan. Add the sliced onion and pepper and fry, stirring frequently for 10 mins until golden. Stir in the garlic and spices, then tip in the tomatoes, half a can of water, the corn and bouillon. Cover and simmer for 15 mins.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, toss the avocado with the lime juice and zest, and the finely chopped onion.
- STEP 3
Drain the penne and toss into the sauce with the coriander. Spoon the pasta into bowls, top with the avocado and scatter over the coriander leaves.