In this article I will show you tips on making Chinese barbecue sauces with several recipes included for you to have a try.
* Char Siu Sauce
The most common ready made Chinese barbecue sauce is Char Siu Sauce which you could easily find in supermarkets.
Char Siu Sauce has the following ingredients
Water, Sugar, Salt, Honey, Maltose (Wheat Starch, Malt, Water), Modified Corn Starch, Soybeans, Contains Less Than 2% of Wheat Flour, Spices, Sesame, Garlic, Xanthan Gum, Chilli, Acetic Sodium Benzoated Added as a Preservative.
This thick sauce works very well on any grilled or smoked foods, but like most barbecue sauces, can burn because of the sugar content. So use it only at the end of cooking.
* Key ingredients used for Chinese barbecue and home made barbecue sauces.
– Cumin Powder
Cumin is the dried seed of the herb Cuminum cyminum, a member of the parsley family. Cumin is the second most popular spice in the world after black pepper.
Ground Cumin is a key element in dishes ranging from Tex-Mex chili, curry powders, masalas, mouth-watering spice mixes as well as vegetable and meat stews. You should be able to find it from Indian or Chinese supermarkets. If not, you could buy it from internet.
– Five spices powder
Five-spice powder is a mixture of five spices. It encompasses all five flavours of sweet, sour, bitter, pungent, and salty. It is popular in Chinese cuisine, but also used in other Asian cookery. It is widely available in Chinese and Indian supermarkets.
– Chili powder
– White pepper
– Vegetable oil or mixed vegetable oil
* Recipes on how to make barbecue sauces yourself
Minced Garlic Black Pepper Sauce (DIY Chinese barbecue sauce)
Minced Garlic Black Pepper Sauce is one of the popular homemade Chinese barbecue sauces. It is to be served with meat dishes.
In following I will show you how to make Minced Garlic Black Pepper Sauce.
2 cups of beef stock, 450ml
2tbsp minced garlic,
1tbsp corn flour,
½ onion (finely diced),
lots of ground black pepper,
2 tsp salt
=> Steps for making Garlic Black Pepper Sauce:
1. Melt 20g butter in a heated frying pan over low heat. Add minced garlic and diced onion. Stir fry until fragrant. Add one cup of beef stock. Bring to boil over medium heat. Sift to remove minced garlic and diced onion. Set aside stock.
2. Heat another frying pan. Melt remaining butter over low heat. Sift flour into pan. Gently stir until even. Add another cup of beef stock. Keep stirring until corn flour has dissolved. Add ground black pepper and salt. Cook until sauce sickens.
Flavoured Chilli Sauce (DIY Chinese barbecue sauce)
This is a dipping sauce for meat dishes.
> Ingredients used:
Lemon juice, 60ml
Tomato sauce, 2 tbsp
Chilli oil, 1 tsp
Chilli sauce, 1 tsp
Black pepper, 1 tsp
Oyster sauce, 1 tbsp
Chopped chilli, 1 tbsp
Wine, 1 tbsp
Brown sugar, 1 tbsp
Minced garlic, ½ tsp
=> Steps: Mix well all the ingredients.
Minced Garlic Sauce (DIY Chinese barbecue sauce)
Use this as a dipping sauce for seafood dishes.
Minced garlic, 2 tbsp
Soy sauce, 3 tbsp
Monosodium glutamate, optional
White wine, 1 tsp
White wine vinegar, 1tsp
Sugar, 1 tsp
White pepper, ½ tsp
=>Steps: Mix well all the ingredients.